Featherlight Cheesecake

By Monday, September 19, 2011

I love cheesecake - not the rich, creamy kind but the light, soft and fluffy type.

I made this for my friends previously, but the bottom was soggy, as I forgot to cover the tin with a layer of aluminium foil. However, it still tasted very good, and I was thinking how nice the cake would taste, if I managed to get everything right.

Dear had also gotten me a KA mixer, and I wanted to try a recipe that involves the beating of egg whites. This was it!


I could feel the difference, seeing the egg whites beaten by the KA mixer versus a handheld mixer. It's so stable, and I was very relaxed, letting the machine do the work while I go about preparing the cream cheese. Having used such a mixer in my baking lessons before, I knew I could count on it to whip up egg whites that are glossy and shiny :)


I also lined the tray with baking paper - for easy removal of the cheesecake, and protected the outside of the tin with aluminium foil. Having failed many times in the past.. and still trying to learn from my mistakes, I finally succeeded this time! I was rewarded with this beautiful cake.


It's really soft, and tasted best when chilled in the fridge :)

Recipe: (from Alex Goh - Fantastic Cheesecake)

Ingredients:
250g milk
20g butter
125g cream cheese (thaw for at least an hr)
50g cake flour
3 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla
3 egg whites
1/8tsp cream of tartar
80g Sugar
pinch of salt (i omit this)
1tsp chocolate paste

Method:
  1. Prepare a 20cm (8") square tin and line with paper. Remember to protect the exterior of the tin with aluminium foil.
  2. Beat the cream cheese till smooth, or you can give it a mix using a wooden spoon to soften it.
  3. Cook milk & butter until it boils. Add smoothen cream cheese into it and mix until well blended. *I always having difficulty melting the cream cheese. At this point, I would sieve it to remove lumps from the batter.
  4. Add flour into mixture and place it over double boiler. Mix till it thickens. 
  5. Remove mixture from heat. Let it cool a little, before adding in egg yolks and vanilla. Mix until well blended.
  6. Whisk egg whites until foamy. Then add in cream of tartar and sugar. Whisk until soft peak.
  7. Fold in the egg whites into the cream cheese batter. Mix 100g of the mixture with choc paste.   * I made chocolate paste by mixing 1 tbsp of cocoa powder with 2 tbsp of hot water.
  8. Pour the plain batter onto the prepared pan. Then drip in choc mixture on top and swirl to make marble effect.
  9. Bake in water bath at 160 deg c for 50-60 mins until the centre is set and golden brown.
  10. When done, leave the cake in the oven to cool. Chill the cake before serving.

You Might Also Like

0 comments